The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee!

Since my last blog post, we have officially opened and closed Ohio Northern’s fall 2026 production of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.” Even though the process was exhausting and made me feel like a bit of a zombie, the shows were so rewarding. The nature of the show lends itself to heavily interacting with the audience, so having an audience to work with was what our cast needed to bring the show to life. There are parts of the show where we had audience volunteers onstage with us and participating in the spelling bee. Even though the show seems like a lot of improvisation, there is actually a loose structure to how and when spellers get eliminated, so it made the show all the more interesting when the structure broke and we really did have to improvise on the spot. It was also a moment where I got to be proud of my friends who I shared the stage with. It was awesome to witness them and think about their growth over the years. 


Now that the show is closed, I get to rest a little. On Monday, I decided to go to Lima and treat myself to a little solo date. I went to a few different trinket stores and Goodwill and left with some new decorations, some body sprays and clothes! It always serves as a nice reset to have a day to myself where I can go and do things. 


This week I started to work in the ONU costume shop again. It’s been a job I’ve had on and off since freshman year. I took a break last semester and the beginning of this semester with the shows I’ve been in; it was just too much to do at once. In the shop, we’re gearing up for “Radium Girls,” and we’ve started prepping for the Holiday Spectacular! Holiday is such a beast of a show on the tech side. There are easily over 100 costumes in the show, so it is a big deal to get everything together. Speaking of Holiday, later this week I start meeting with the choreographer to make plans and start chipping away at the new choreography for the show this year. 


Fun things coming up: Tonight my roommates and I are taking a trip to Columbus to watch the Broadway national tour of “Death Becomes Her!” I am super excited because it is not only one of my favorite movies, but also one of my favorite musicals. It is also special because we know someone in the show. One of the swings, Ian Liberto, came to ONU last semester to help choreograph our production of "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812," with the director, his husband, Kasey Graham. Along with this, one of my roommates’ old dance teachers is in the show! Needless to say, we are all looking forward to it.


This Friday, I fly out to LA for my fall break. My sister lives in San Diego, and ever since I’ve turned 21, she’s wanted me to come out to visit her so we can do a little fall trip to LA. We have some fun things planned! We’re thinking of going to some drag bars, doing some thrift shopping, and we’re going to go do the haunted experience on the Queen Mary. Yesterday I bought a small digital camera, so I am super excited to document my trip. 


Final thing to update: Next week is my birthday! It will be on Wednesday, the day we get back from fall break. I’m turning 22, which is something I can’t think too much about because in no way am I feeling like an adult.


Comments

Popular Posts